In no way shape or form could I ever be described as ‘high-maintenance’. Not even in my younger, thinner, prettier days. The bottom line is I’m just too damn lazy. The second to bottom line is I couldn’t afford it (or justify spending that amount of money on myself). Having children and being married (or as good as without the dress and piece of paper), meant that the bit of time I did spend on myself, kinda went out of the window. It wasn’t helped by living with a partner who would regularly throw around accusations of affairs every time I put on some slap and high heels. However, that was then and this is now. Yesterday I talked about the mirror. So insignificant to most but a huge step for me. My mindset has definitely shifted recently. A need to self-care again has risen from the ashes. When I look in the mirror I no longer see someone who is beyond help. Not worthy of help. I see a woman with potential; to be better and greater than she was the day before.
My world is beginning to feel quite alien. It’s scary but exciting.
So with this new perspective on life, and myself, I thought the time had come to try and go a bit more high-maintenance. I awoke this morning full of the joys of spring and with many many plans for today. A transformation from a dowdy 44-year-old to middle-aged glamour puss (*Miranda style turn to camera* “…no sniggering … we all need dreams…”) was on the cards. I have a birthday coming up and it seemed as good a time to start as any.
It hasn’t gone to plan and it’s only eleven.
It turns out this high maintenance stuff isn’t as simple as I’d imagined. First disappointment was remembering I wasn’t going to be able to lose 60 pounds between breakfast and dinner. The second disappointment was remembering that to lose even a single pound there could be no breakfast or dinner. Unperturbed, I whipped out my pencil and paper and commenced creating my to-do list whilst munching away on my fat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free breakfast.
- Dye Eyebrows -Kids have thrown away the box of dye I’d secretly stashed in the bathroom cabinet.
- Make hair look lush (Hair colour) -I can’t find the gloves, and no one applies Sebastion Cellophane without gloves. No one.
- Tidy up eyebrows – “… ya tweezers fell down the plug hole last week mum…”
- Nails – No nails!! Probably should have stopped biting them last week in preparation
- Legs – I still have a pair. Possibly an orangutan sanctuary existing in ‘undergrowth’. (Half way through my shower I remembered new packet of disposables is still downstairs.)
- Face mask – Do Avon still do those peely ones? A bit like the glue we all painted on the back of our hands as kids but smelled of lemon. (Remembered I was supposed to do one an hour after my shower.)
- Exfoliation of entire body! (I remembered two hours after my shower. Fitness levels probably aren’t ready for this yet anyway. There is a lot of body and a lot of exfoliation.)
- Feet – Urgh, I’m not ready to go there yet.
- Yoga work out on the Bastard-Ball – The day isn’t over yet. It’s still a possibility. *Crosses fingers behind back.*
And so it goes on …
How do you girls do it?!!!
There is so much to think about and plan! It’s like having another full-time job on top of the full-time work that most of us already do! I’m going to need extra pages and columns in my diary if this has a cat in hells chance of working. I probably would also benefit from a sugar-daddy / crowd-fund / Swiss bank account (full) / trust fund / lottery win. I’m thinking this high-maintenance would be so much less stressful if I could afford to hire a housekeeper to do my chores and look after the kids, whilst I pottered off to see a ‘lady wot does’ to get all the beauty stuff done.
I need to reassess how I can make this happen. Or bits of it at least.
Current High Maintenance Level Achieved: I’ve washed my hair. 😀